Screen mirroring, also called screen sharing, is simply replicating a phone, laptop, tablet or computer screen onto a TV screen. Every device has specific requirements that must be met in order to effectively screen share. Newer Samsung devices have a screen mirroring feature, or Smart View, while older devices and operating systems may not have that feature. To find out if your Samsung or other Android device has screen mirroring or Smart View functionality, use two fingers to pull down the notification menu and look for the Smart View icon.
Benefits of Screen Sharing
Screen sharing is used as a presentation tool in business as well as entertainment in homes. Screen sharing from your mobile devices allow you to stream movies, videos, photos, music, applications, presentations and more directly to your TV screen. While traditional screen sharing requires a wired connection (like an MHL cable), Samsung offers options that allow you to wirelessly screen share, allowing you to navigate throughout the room without limitations.
How to Screen Share
Samsung has streamlined their wireless screen sharing options by making their smart TVs compatible with some Samsung phones and tablets. To begin screen mirroring, simply select “screen mirroring” on your TV under the “sources” menu. On your compatible Samsung phone, select the Smart View icon under the notifications menu and pair your devices.
To connect your Samsung phone to a non-Samsung TV, you may use a wired HDMI connection or a smartphone to TV adapter like this one. The ScreenBeam Mini2 is a great wireless replacement for traditional wired connections. This product wirelessly connects directly with your device, so it does not rely on your home WiFi network.
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to connect your Samsung device to your TV in order to screen share:
- Connect a Receiver (like the ScreenBeam Mini2) into an available HDMI port on your TV.
- Turn on the TV and set it to display the input from the correct HDMI port. Verify that the “Ready to Connect” screen appears on the TV.
- To turn on the screen mirroring function on your Samsung smartphone/tablet, drag your finger from the top of the screen to pull down the notifications bar. Alternatively, look for “Wireless Display Application” under settings.
- Tap Screen MirroringOR Smart View OR Quick Connect
- Your device will scan for Receiver devices to which they can connect (such as ScreenBeam Mini2). Select the Receiver from the device list.
- You may be required to enter a PIN, which will be displayed on the TV screen. Enter the PIN in the PIN text box, then click Connect.
- Wait for the device to pair with and connect to the Receiver. Once it connects, the device’s screen will be displayed on the TV.